Friday, November 10, 2006

Vegetarianism Revisited

*I'm working on making this post smaller. Concision!*

In June of 2006 I wrote a post relating why exactly I wanted to such a crazy thing as not eat meat (and why I decided to have a vegetarian barbecue.) However, I find it hard to talk about the things that are actually important to me, which is why I write about them. (My agnosticism is something I'm fairly obvious about, as it's not something I view as important.) I'm writing this one so my new friends can read about the issue, and because I don't think I explained myself properly last time.

Environmental
These are the most important factors for me, as my concern for the environment is greater than my concern for animals or my health. Livestock production adds to certain environmental problems. Many of these result from the fact that producing a certain amount of meat requires much more feed, so not only does production directly lead to problems, it indirectly means more grain must be grown.

The first problem is pollution. North American (edit for Isabel :P) agriculture relies heavily on chemicals and machinery, which require oil and produce pollution. For instance, eutrophication is a process by which fertilizers leak into a body of water, which causes algae to grow until too much has produced, at which point all life in the body dies. Second is soil erosion, where topsoil is eroded and the land loses fertility, which must be replaced using machinery and fertilizer, see above. Third is water use. Meat requires feed (which requires water) and water on its own, so that my biased sources claims that a pound of beef requires 30 times as much water as a pound of grain. Canada has the world's largest water reserves, so this is hardly a concern for this country, but it still causes problems locally, and the fact the we have water is not a reason to waste it. The final issue are resistances caused by overuse of pesticides and antibiotics. Antibiotics are added to the feed, leading to resistant strains of bacteria, while the extra produce grown to feed animals leads to extra pesticides, and recent pesticide-resistant pests are causing all sorts of trouble.

Ethics
In my previous post I stated that I didn't care about animals. That's not true, I care about them, just not when the benefit to humans is greater than the suffering of the animals. So for a while I occasionally felt bad about eating meat, but hey, meat is delicious! However there are no benefits to eating meat, which means there's only the needless suffering of animals world wide. And suffer they do, whether it's cows immobilized in stalls so that their meat tastes better or pigs wallowing in shit with hundreds of other pigs. (Well, technically they wallow in their shit all the time, not just in factory farms. Factory farms being predominant in North America, and being the most "efficient" (cheapest) form of production.") If you feel like making yourself ill, there are many sources on the internet.

I am slightly hypocritical in that I haven't given up on dairy, but I am trying to minimize the extent that I consume dairy, as there are just as many offenses associated with that industry as with the livestock industry.

Health
It is healthier to be vegetarian, despite the supposed trouble of getting all that protein. Here's a statement from the American Dietetic Association: "Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein, as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals." Notice that lower levels of animal protein is listed as a benefit. Most North Americans get about twice the protein that they need. On a similar note, as an adult milk loses all the benefit for your bones that you have as a child. There are better source of calcium, such as dark leafy vegetables (such as those used for -real- lettuce, not your watery iceberg crap.)

In any case, health isn't a huge factor as I eat fairly healthily, and to be healthy I would need to eat more and exercise.

The point of all this (this being my third attempt to explain vegetarianism) is to explain myself and hopefully make some of you give it some thought. I won't condemn you for your lifestyle choice, though, I'm not that sort of vegetarian. :P

2 comments:

Isabel Montoya V. said...

I think this is a much better version of you vegeterian article. I still have some issues with it but overall in the developed north all your facts are correct. But in the south (or at leats Panama, Costa Rica, and Colombia) the truth different.
As you know a have two dairy farms (Both of those farms also have agricultural products )and a meat farm. And I can tell you for a fact that there is more pesticides in the agriculture produce than in the meat (except for the apples which are organic). Besides the way that you explain how the cows are bread is not entirely acurate as in my farm there is 500 hectares for 500 cows on average. That means that there atleast 1 hectare for cow. That is a really big peice of land.
I know you have told me that "this is only in my farm" But the reality is that in farms all over Colombia, Panama,and Costa Rica it is like this cause I have been there my self and my dad has been in Venezuela and Ecuador and the farming there is pretty much the same as my farm.
Here is my suggestion research in places where there focus is not to convert you to vegetarianism becuase you will find that your information is really biased. Remeber you have cows grassing in your farm and ther are cow farms in canada in the prairs that are not like you discribed.

Odm said...

I guess this wasn't stated as such, but I was talking about the meat I consume, as it is predominately produced in Canada. I am glad that the situation is different in South America. But while the farming in South America might be better environmentally, the least damage is caused by eating no meat.

Pesticides are used to grow the feed for livestock, so you end up with more pesticide use overall, not more pesticides ingested by me.

And yes, the source I used is biased. It was a convenient source of numbers. Wikipedia backs most of these statements up.