Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blog to the Future!

Now with -100% more Michael Fox.

Some of you may be wondering what the fate of this blog will be. Others may simply have concluded that it's dead, considering that I post less than once a month, on average. It certainly has declined precipitously in the past, from the golden age of posts about Middle Eastern politics and Vegetarianism, to the decadent decline of writing about math and dogs, and finally the stagnation of examining baby names.

I've occasionally been giving some thought to what I want to do with the damn thing. I'm loathe to officially declare it dead and never write again. I like pretending to have serious analytical skills and to pontificate about all kinds of complex phenomena, but I also like to babble on about charts and the optimal size of dogs. The problem is mostly that I don't know which I prefer, and writing about both leads to failure at both. The Expert Weblogger-Analyst tends to be embarassed by the irreverent posts, while the Silly Blogger dislikes all the half-researched, half-assed, too-serious posts.

One thing I can say for certain is that I will not try to write about myself. As an analytical person, I also analyze my own thoughts and behaviour. So long as I don't think too hard about the fact that I am meta-analyzing, it works ok. I come up with some vague ideas about myself, and it's all good. When I try to condense my notions into words I can shove down some intertubes, I get a headache. In other words: when my brain tries to come to a conclusion on my brain based on some brain observations my brain made, it breaks, and my head starts to hurt. I've foolishly attempted this a few times, and each time I walk away from my computer in (mild) pain and frustration. So, I can rule that topic out.

What will I be writing about? I've half a notion to separate this one web-log into the "Oliver values his opinions too highly" blog and the "Oliver's opinions are silly" blog. This could be the first step down a slippery slope, however, into a neverending mitosis of blogs that will eventually consume the internet. (Mitosis is cellular division where one cell splits into two copies.) A few days later I'll further subdivide my blog into "Oliver's Seriously Overinflated Opinions", "Oliver Hazards a Guess at Complex Topics Beyond his Comprehension", "Oliver Gets Drunk and Writes Blog Posts" and "Oliver Writes About Celebrities." Before you know it, I've created 10 million blogs and Google revokes my blogging license.

In all seriousness, I do have a plan for the future of this blog. For the next while, I'll be going through the archives and rewriting or removing my older, poor-quality posts. When I'm happy with everything I've written, and I will leave silly posts that have some point, I'll decide what I'm going to do in future. For now, hopefully you'll appreciate the fact that I'm writing again.

No comments: