Friday, December 01, 2006

Rantosaurus

It's currently 2 AM. Woohoo, first post in December. Let's kick this month off with COMPLETELY irrelevant shit that may not be entirely valid.

Seriously, what's up with the fucking sidewalks here? Why is it that in Vienna most sidewalks are cleared and gravel is spread over all the icy parts by the time I wake up, and yet as I walk to class at 9:30 in Vancouver the sidewalks are a fucking sheet of ice. Yes, Vienna HAS to be prepared for snow and ice, but it's not like it never snows in Vancouver. You'd think they'd be prepared for the one event of the year involving water crystals. Exhibit A) whiteness blanketing everything. Exhibit B) the cut on my hand I got from falling on my ass walking to class, which is totally irrelevant compared to the wrist I fucked up which means I couldn't go climbing this week.

So far Vancouver's infrastructure has been fairly shitty. It rains and we have fucking dirt in the water, it snows and the fucking power cuts out. Maybe you can't do all that much about the dirt (seeing as how what makes the water undrinkable is what the filters MISS) but for fuck's sake, keep the trees off of the fucking power lines. There's a fucking thing called wind.

Another thing that pisses me off about the sidewalks is the fact that people insist on jauntily and slowly strolling down the sidewalk, taking up both sides of the now narrow sidewalk and moving at about the pace that I crawl. You can walk at whatever speed you want, but when I am already 10 minutes late for class, feel free to move aside so that I don't have to jump through the fucking snow, thank you. And no, being late is totally not my fault, and this doesn't just irritate me because I got up half an hour earlier after too-little sleep, it's the fault of the fucking weather because it is too cold for me to want to walk outside.

Let me rephrase that. The cold doesn't really bother me, it just means I have to summon even more will to leave me wonderful, comfortable room.

Actually I don't really care about the sidewalks, the people, or the lack of basic services, although the maintenance people here could do a fucking better job with the sidewalks. What I'm really ranting about is the weather. By all means, snow, please, but do so in a way that doesn't deprive us of power and warmth. And don't fucking rain to the point that I don't drink anything, because that's just fucking cruel.

Goodnight everyone. Happy December, and I promise I'll make real posts later.

2 comments:

Isabel Montoya V. said...

Biter. very biter

Rootless mind said...

Wow. I had never heard you swear so much....lol. Yeah. Cold weather can be shitty for people like me who can't wake up nicely in the morning cos it's so goddamn cold and chilly. I can't even use the tapwater for christ's sake because it's so cold. So i have to wait for like 5 minutes for warm water to run...blergh. Anyway, take care and keep yourself warm. Eat well, and sleep well :)