Thursday, December 14, 2006

Project Mayhem

I just saw Fight Club, a little later than most people who have seen it. Except those who just finished watching it in the past 4 minutes, of course. It's an interesting movie, in both meanings of the word (weird and engaging.) Personally, I can appreciate the irony the portrayal of the destruction of commerce being vended by huge corporations, and I don't tend to enjoy watered-down philosophy grafted onto a film. Like in The Matrix.

SPOILERS FOLLOW. If you have any intention of seeing this movie I would suggest scrolling past or something. If you haven't seen it yet, I doubt you care, but I'll be vague anyways. I did like the movie, even though I don't think violence is exactly therapeutic. I don't believe that the plot holds together, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. Like I said, I found the anti-materialistic message ironic, but what bugs me more is the notion that you have to hit bottom before you can be redeemed (I mean the bottom of what humanity can be, not the bottom of our own personal struggle. Redemption implies that there was a bottom,) and that similarly destroying commerce will redeem our society. Materialism implies many negative things, but I don't think we can escape from it, or that we should.

That was fucking disgusting, though. I think I'm desensitized to violence at least until I wake up tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How much would your kidneys go for, actually?

Odm said...

My kidneys as a pair are invaluable. One of my kidneys would probably go for a couple thousand dollars on the black market, but having never bought or sold organs, I wouldn't know. I don't know how much money you'd have to give me to voluntarily part with one, but it would be a lot.

WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS?