Monday, December 11, 2006

Insomnia

It is currently 2:19 AM on the 11th of December, 2006. I have a computer science exam in 6 hours and 10 minutes. After reading that, you are no doubt questioning the wisdom of being up so late. There is no wisdom to question: I went to bed around 11, and have tried to fall asleep for the past three hours. The fact that I am awake right now is entirely voluntary.

I can tell you why I can't sleep. I can't sleep because at 7 PM, after finishing my reading for computer science, I fell asleep. I then slept for about an hour and twenty minutes. Long naps at odd times consistently spells insomnia, for me. On the rare occasion that I cannot sleep, it will almost always be because I took a nap that afternoon (even more occasionally it will be too hot to sleep.)

However, I have a fatalistic attitude towards insomnia, and other aspects of life. I refuse to worry about events beyond my control. That doesn't mean I assume I have no control, that I believe a divine hand shapes our actions, but merely that if I cannot do anything to change an issue, I will not fret about that fact. Before a test or exam, I will be calm because I cannot prepare any more, so I may as well proceed from there. And when I suffer from insomnia, I accept that I cannot sleep, and it does not bother me. Instead, I choose to write about it, because I think my attitude is fairly unique and also because it probably will help.

(There are, of course, other things that bother me while I lie in bed, since I have plenty of time to think about every insignificant problem I have, but those are not the subject of this blog post. Or any blog post, for that matter.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually have to tire myself out in order for me to sleep... least in Warwick where I have to sleep with drunk yelling in the background.

There are though- measures which can fight insomania- these are what I've found in the past years.

1) Pure darkness...no lights from anything.
2) Do not drink coffee, or soda- these just keep you awake... not even diet soda.
3) Do a non-active activity (Reading a book is the best, but watching movies/tv shows work too)

Hope these help!

Odm said...

I don't usually have trouble sleeping, so when I do it's fairly easy to deal with it. Shortly after I published this post, I fell asleep, actually.

I forgot coffee. If I drink coffee in the afternoon, it will bitchslap me when I go to bed... sometimes.