Thursday, October 12, 2006

Woo, university!

Guess what? I am a full-time student at the educational facility situated on the University Endowment lands in Vancouver, namely the University of British Columbia, commonly called UBC. In fact, apparently "I am UBC." Because that makes so very much sense- I don't go there, I PERSONIFY IT. Anyways, except for that clever line, UBC is pretty awesome. And this is why.

A) It's university. Which means I'm taking the classes I like, get to choose when to have them, the classes are generally pretty good, I'm not forced to attend them, and I'm generally given more responsibility. Which isn't something that's going to faze me. And suprisingly I don't have much work. I'd actually be willing to have more if bio and physics were more interesting, as so far it's been review in both, but I figure the work will come eventually.

B) I live in residence. Which means I don't have to cook for myself (a mixed blessing, as often I'd like to,) there's a whole bunch of really nice people around, and classes are like 5-10 minutes away. And I get to sleep during my breaks, which I love.

C) It's beautiful. The campus itself is very nice- there's lots of tall trees, there's a Japanese garden, a botanical garden, a rose garden, and a forest pretty near by. But even better is the fact that I can see the ocean from my house, and it's a short (but steep) walk down to the beach. Granted, it's a nudist beach, but I could really care less. I don't have to declothe myself. There are also mountains like an hour away. Ocean + mountains + forest = amazing.

So yeah. I'm pretty happy. I still miss the friends I had in Vienna, but things are pretty cool here too.

(A shiny new laptop helps :D)

No comments: